There is so much to consider when choosing an outfit for your engagement session! And what about accessories, hair, and makeup? It can get a bit overwhelming, especially for those of us who are not blessed in the fashion sense department. Luckily, the province is full of fantastic local resources willing and ready help you plan that perfect look! In our first edition of What to Wear, Tara Funk of Random Eyesight Photography collaborated with local experts in Swift Current to provide you with some fashion inspiration!
From guest author Tara Funk:
When I had first had this idea, I had visions of this wonderful fashion piece I could write to showcase all the looks. However, as I worked with the local vendors and models, I came to one solid conclusion: ask the experts.
Let me back up a bit. I came up with this idea because as photographer – especially as a wedding photographer – I get asked a lot about what to wear, and how to style hair and makeup. I admit I do have a good eye for knowing what looks good in front of the camera, but I am no expert on fashion. I started thinking a bit more about this. If I was getting my engagement photos done where would I buy my outfit? Who would I ask? How would I coordinate my look?
When you read wedding blogs, there always seems to be a stylist involved. That would be awesome, but Saskatchewan is fairly rural and there isn’t always access to a stylist. So then what? You can ask friends/family/your photographer, but you know they aren’t always the experts.
When I set up this shoot I had one major goal: I wanted to showcase local businesses. Not those places in large urban centers. Not the guys in Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto. I wanted to showcase the great things that you can find right in your hometown (or close to it).
I gave the team fairly loose guidelines: showcase three different looks for potential clients to wear to engagement sessions, have fun, and be creative. The day of the shoot it amazed me how, with those loose guidelines, the team came up with different looks – everything from bohemian to country to chic to urban. The conclusion from this is: go ask your local clothing store for ideas. Tell them what type of vibe you are going for. Once you have your outfit, talk to your hair stylist/makeup artist. Show them your outfit. Ask them for ideas. They know what’s in, what’s not, and what will work and look awesome on you.
Top tips for what to wear to your engagement session:
1. You must feel awesome in it. If you don’t feel comfortable, it will show in the photos.
2. Try to find the budget for hair and makeup. Granted, some of you ladies are experts yourselves in this area! But most of us aren’t, and a good makeup artist like Maygen Louise will make you look awesome for your photos. This is not easily achieved by doing it yourself. Same with hair.
3. That favorite store you love going to? The one where you wish you could buy the whole store? Go in and ask for their help. These little local shops such as Bre’s Boutique and Fusion Shop + Salon are full of amazing clothes, accessories and staff. Tell them what type of look you want. If you already have a top but need pants or vice versa, bring that piece in with you when you are looking.
4. Consider flowers. I know right? Why flowers? Well here is the thing, unless you are a model or extremely comfortable in front of the camera, there is always this question of what to do with your hands. Having a bouquet can be a way to occupy your hands. They don’t even have to be expensive – this isn’t a bridal bouquet. I told florist Poppy from Smart Flowers that I wanted a bouquet that was loose and natural, with lots of greenery and ribbons. The beautiful bouquet you see here is what is what she came up with. The added bonus is then you get to take them home and enjoy the loveliness a bit longer!
5. If you don’t know where to start, ask your photographer. We go to a lot of weddings, which means we take a lot of engagement photos. This means we know and have worked with a lot of people who have shown time and time again their products/services are exceptional.
Stay tuned for the next (male!) edition in the new year! Because I know that’s the next question all the ladies will have – now that you have your outfit all picked out what does your significant other wear?!
Thanks to the team:
Photography: Random Eyesight Photography
Clothing: Bre’s Boutique
Hair, accessories, and shoes: Fusion Shop + Salon
Makeup: Maygen Louise Hair & Makeup Artistry
Flowers: Smart Flowers
Styling: Bre’s Boutique, Fusion Shop + Salon, Random Eyesight Photography and Maygen Louise Hair & Makeup Artistry
Models: Rachel, Rebecca and Laila
Dress: Gentle Fawn
Flowers: Smart Flowers
Interested in collaborating on a What to Wear feature in your hometown? Get in touch using our contact form!